Job Posting: Dye Studio Assistant
We are hiring a full-time dye studio assistant to help us create our yarns and other products this summer!
This position is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents between the ages of 15 and 30.
Edit June 3, 2016: We’ve received a number of questions regarding the age requirement for this position. We’ve been approved to receive funding from the Canadian government through their summer jobs program, which is what has allowed us to create this position. It would not be possible for Sweet Paprika to offer the position without the assistance of the Canada Summer Jobs initiative.
As noted on the CSJ website “Canada Summer Jobs is an initiative of the Youth Employment Strategy, which is the Government of Canada’s commitment to help young people between the ages of 15 and 30, particularly those facing barriers to employment, get the information and gain the skills, work experience and abilities they need to transition successfully into the labour market.”
Application Deadline: June 14, 2019
Work dates: July 8 – August 23, 2019
Hours: 30 hours/week (weekdays)
Hourly rate: $12.50
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- prepare yarn and fibre for dyeing
- mix dye stocks, apply and set dye according to given formulas and recipes
- label finished products for sale
- assist with research and product development (including sourcing wool and other fibres from farmers and mills)
- assist with testing dye recipes for accuracy and repeatability
- assist with basic administrative tasks
- assist with advertising and promotion
- assist with community outreach and organizing local events.
Languages: English (spoken & written)
Experience: No previous dyeing experience is necessary, training will be provided
Preferred Skills & Interests:
- attention to detail
- time management
- basic digital skills (familiarity with MS Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop, etc)
- interest in fibre crafts or other textile arts
- interest in community-building
Physical Capabilities: This is a physically demanding position requiring manual dexterity, standing for extended periods, bending, crouching, kneeling, and lifting up to 20kg.
How to apply:
Send your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be accepting applications until Friday, June 14, 2019. Good luck!