Intro to Natural Dyeing October 6, 2019
Taught by Armen Keuchguerian
All materials are provided for this one-day workshop and you'll go home two skeins of your own naturally dyed yarn.
Colouring textiles with natural resources requires several steps to achieve a strong, lightfast result. This workshop will introduce participants to the basics of natural dyeing, using madder roots and pomegranate extract to dye their yarns. We will explore the mordanting steps / pre-treatment of the yarn with alum, the dye extraction, and dyeing of the skeins, as well as touch upon some of the theory and varied applications of natural dyes. This workshop will also touch upon other natural dyes and the intricate palette they can offer us. All materials will be supplied for this one-day workshop, and you will go home with two skeins of your own naturally dyed yarn.
This is an introductory level workshop. No previous experience is required.
- Date: Sunday, October 6, 2019
- Time: 1pm-5pm
- Location: Sweet Paprika dye studio at Helios Makerspace (137 Rue Saint-Ferdinand, Montreal)
- Fee: $125 + ticket fee (includes all materials)
- This workshop is presented in collaboration with Helios Makerspace and registration is directly through Helios using Eventbrite.
- Class will run with a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 5 students.