Accomplishments of the Week - July 30, 2018
I finished a spinning project! You may remember from this post back in June that I had some singles ready for plying. Well, I got half a bobbin of those done, and then got distracted again by other projects, and then went away on vacation... I finally got back to it when I got home in mid-July, and it took me a couple of spinning sessions, but I've now got a nice plump skein of about 340 yds of sport-ish weight yarn - maybe closer to a light DK. It's destined to be a hat for Jon for this winter, so I should have plenty with that amount.
When I wound the singles for this yarn into cakes to ply from I didn't divide it particularly evenly, so I ended up with quite a lot leftover of one of the plies. Rather than try to split it in three I decided to try my hand at chain-plying for the first time. It more-or-less worked, but you can tell I was having trouble keeping it tensioned properly in some spots, and it's a bit over-twisted as well. I think I'll need more practice before trying that technique for any big projects!
Another project that got left behind over my vacation was my pin-loom temperature blanket. I've been participating in a weave-along for this in the Looms to Go group over on Ravelry, and have been working on it pretty steadily all year, although I was a bit behind to start the actual weaving since I decided to dye my own colours. I let it lapse for a while in June though, and this month it's been so hot that I haven't even wanted to think about what the daily high temperature were and record them in my chart. My accomplishment this weekend was to lay everything out and take stock of where I'm at with it. I'm starting to catch up with the squares, but I'm still more than a month behind, and I've got a lot of sewing ahead of me as well to get it all pieced together.
It feels a bit like cheating to claim this as my accomplishment, since it's the plant that's done all the real work, but I'm really pleased with how my balcony tomatoes are coming along. These are Green Gage tomatoes, so they won't get much bigger but they should turn yellow as they ripen. It's been a challenge to make sure this plant gets enough water because it doesn't get much shade on my balcony, so in that regard just keeping it alive through this hot summer we've been having is it's own accomplishment!
Leave a comment
Also in News
The story of this pattern starts back in 2008 when Elizabeth and I, along with our sister Margaret, decided that we wanted to make a blanket for our parents as a gift for their 25th wedding anniversary. Elizabeth suggested we base our blanket design on the traditional Attic Windows quilting pattern, and she came up with a simple technique to knit the squares.
We wanted to share the basic technique for the Attic Windows squares, because it's so adaptable, and so much fun to play with! So, we decided to create a free "recipe" version of the pattern, that shares the basic technique as well as a step-by-step guide on planning your Attic Windows project.
It's that time of year again! Our 2020 batch of Norbouillet fleece is already at the mill, ready to be custom-spun into this year's batch of our locally-sourced, 100% Canadian yarns.
This year as we were setting up pre-orders we took some time to look through all the beautiful projects that our customers have made with these yarns over the past few years, and we were inspired to share a few of our favourites here. Thank you so much to everyone who gave us permission to share your photos!