Natural Dye Kit
This natural dye kit from The Love of Colour is the perfect introduction to the world of natural dyes for the beginner dyer.
The kit includes ingredients to dye around 1 metre of lightweight fabric or 150g of yarn each in light to medium shades of pink, orange, yellow and purple. In total you will be able to dye about 4 metres of fabric or 600g of yarn.
We are now offering these kits paired with one or two skeins of undyed 100% Canadian wool yarn for you to use in your dye experiments. These skeins are untreated and will need to be prepared for dyeing before use. If you would like to purchase more than two skeins, please contact us.
Note: Dyed fabrics are shown as examples only and are not included in the kit.
About Natural Dyeing
These natural dyes can be used to dye natural plant fibres (cotton or linen) or animal fibres (wool or silk), but are not suitable for synthetic fibres (nylon).
In order to be colourfast, fibres must first be mordanted, or treated with a soluble metal. Plant (cellulose) fibres such as cotton must also be treated with a tannin.
Detailed instructions included in the kit will take you through the step-by-step process of preparing your fibres and dyeing with these natural dyes.
- 15g logwood chips - soft purples
- 15g osage sawdust - yellow
- 15g ground madder root - peach orange shades
- 7g cochineal beetles - pink
- 90g alum, a foodsafe ingredient made of potassium aluminum sulfate for the mordant
- 30g gallnut, a tannin powder made from the galls formed on oak trees
- Comprehensive instructions in English or French
- Optional addition: 1-2 skeins 100% Canadian wool worsted-weight yarn (110g/245yds each)