Norwood is a completely Canadian locally-sourced yarn. The Norbouillet (Rambouillet-cross) fleeces are purchased from Pine Hollow Farm in Ontario, sent to Wellington Fibres (a small mill) for spinning, before coming to us to be dyed in our Montreal studio. You can read more about the story of this yarn on our blog.
The wool is very fine, and is just as soft as our imported Merino. The 3-ply yarn knits up to DK weight, and can be substituted for Minuet in most patterns.
- Content: 100% Norbouillet wool
- Yardage: 205m (225 yds)/approx. 100g (3½ oz)
- Weight: DK weight
- Suggested Needle Size: US 4-6 (3.5-4mm)
- Gauge: 20-24 sts = 4" (10cm)
- Care: Handwash in cool water
- Source of Fibre: Pine Hollow Farm in Norwood, ON, Canada
- Spinning: Wellington Fibres in Elora, ON, Canada
- Hand-dyeing: Sweet Paprika in Montreal, QC, Canada
Norwood Yarn: From Sheep to Hat
The story of our Norwood yarn started in the winter of 2014, as we discussed the idea of adding a new Canadian-grown 100% wool yarn to our products. We really wanted to add more locally-sourced yarns and the first step was to find a source of high-quality fleece.